The World Changed In 2020 In A Way No One Could Really Anticiapte.
Since the lockdown came into affect, people have been affected in so many different ways. From Physical restrictions through to mental health. People have been financially challenged, sent on a roller coaster of emotions searching for ways to keep the world spinning and some sort of rational about the entire situation.
Initially for our family it felt like a jail sentence. Locked away at home unable to see loved ones in person only Zoom or FaceTime eased the sensation of loss. The world closed off from everyone took a toll on us initially.
Its cliche but time is the greatest healer. With perseverance and strong will we will get through these tough times. The sun will rise and fall, the elements will continue to provide for us all and with dark there must always be light. The journey so far has been testing but as the old saying goes "tough times don't last, but tough people do." With that said, some restrictions were eased and as a family we have bean to venture outside again. An appreciation for fresh air, the sun beaming down and the warmth on your skin is sometimes something people take for granted so often, hopefully no more. With the ease of the restrictions I've been able to venture out a little with the camera completing some doorstep portraits a small snippet of which are below. This has helped me so much keep creative, given me focus and time to reflect and appreciate things more.
Night can become day and vice versa. With routine for many becoming something of the past its the thing my family and I have turned to try and remain focused, with that said and for anyone still struggling here's five steps to positivity that may help with mental health at this time - STAY STRONG
1. Routine - this has been key. Take some time (soon don't leave it and do it "tomorrow") and map out your week ahead. From the time you'll rise in the morning until you head to bed. Create structure. This give you guidance and direction, with this it can give you clarity and assist in clear thought process. This can bring down anxiety if you suffer from it in my experience.
2. Gratitude - " Have an attitude of gratitude." Be grateful for what you have and not what you don't. Make a physical list of 5 things you are grateful for. IT CAN BE ANYTHING! This allows you to focus on the good. Like attracts like and if you think good watch positive things start to aline and work for you instead of against you.
3. Exercise! Its been physically proven that exercise reduces stress levels and eases your state of mind. 20 minutes a day doing anything that will work up a sweat is better than sitting on the couch and pondering about that which is causing you mental health issues. It doesn't matter if its 20 minutes walk or if its 20 minutes intense hill sprints, do something and this will have a positive effect not just now but for the future. Make this a ritual not a habit. Habits will fade like will power but rituals don't!
4. Social media! This is a BIGGY!! Now the chances are there will be some irony in this (as you may read this on social media.) However, manage the time you spend on social media. Change the settings on your apps to block you using it during the day if possible. Where you use it for business, only set notifications for your business to on turn everything else off. Allow just an hour a day to work through your notifications and see how this positively has an impact. Theres far to many people putting things out there on social media "Look at my life an how amazing it is...." Thats not reality! As a wise person once told me you're comparing your cutting room floor to someones highlight real. This will only have a negative effect on your state of mind and probably make you start to compare your life possibly to theirs. So don't believe what you see its probably nonsense.
5. Diet! During lockdown its never been more tempting to reach for the wrong foods. Who doesn't want another chocolate biscuit or something thats equally calorific? What you put in you get out in all aspects of life and right now you need to keep the mind healthy so it can be wealthy. This starts with what you put in the proverbial engine so make it healthy. This will give you the energy for the exercise, then allow you to focus on the positives in your life (you chose to east something good for you, theres a free one incase you were wondering of something to be grateful for.) Prepping food can be routine and so contributes to towards this. Diet, now how does diet relate to social media, well for me you only ever want a small slice of social media. This is your "treat" the naughty bit of the healthy plan so small quantities and you've managed it well.